Saturday, July 3, 2010

Twilight Saga

In preparation for our late night movie showing ( Walsh Blog), a few friends of mine got together to watch the first two Twilight films. Not because we love them, but because they had never seen them, and thought they should before our late night adventure.  See, we are so not psycho Twilight fans.  I went to watch with them, just for fun.  I conveniently got there about two hour late, so I didn't have to subject myself to the pain of watching the first film.  

A pale young man fills the top left of the poster, standing over a brown-haired young woman on the right, with the word "twilight" on the lower right.
1 star

Seriously the worst.

2 stars
 (at least it's getting better)

Here's my previous post: New Moon

I enjoyed heckling this film with some of my friends.  Some of the dialog is just so lame-frankly the whole storyline is.  I really find her attachment to Edward unhealthy, not romantic.  One of my favorite parts of this movie was when one of my friends' daughter, she's 11yrs and was watching for the first time-she talked a lot through the movie, said "Oh, wow"  in that first scene with shirtless Jacob post-haircut.  It was so funny, it made me cry.  I did promise my friends I'd keep my snide remarks to myself in the theater at Eclipse.

3 stars 

(Although, I kind of wonder if I am grading the experience of the late night showing more than the movie.  I think I'll have to watch it again to judge for sure...but, that's a positive sign that I would even want to watch it again, right?)

I think I liked books three and four best, too.  (So, I have hopes for the following movies...yes, two movies for book four.  Lame.  And, I think it's gonna be a while, from what I heard at the theater on Tuesday.  I liked how quickly these three movies came out, but some of the girls told me the last two won't be out until the end of 2011.)  I thought there was less sappy dialog and fewer longing looks in this movie, compared to the previous two.  There was more physical stuff, though-so heads up.  (I am glad this is aimed to a teen crowd, so I'm sure they'll keep things in the PG-13 range, I imagine Hollywood would love to take things to a rated R level.)

The choice between Edward and Jacob really comes to a head in this installment-so after the movie everyone (well all the girls) were all giddy asking everyone which team they are on.  (I think I was for Edward in the books, but prefer Jacob in the movie.  I imagined Jacob more youthful and goofy than he he is portrayed in the movies.)  The vampires look less vampire-ish...not so white, which I found too over the top in the previous movies.  The acting is still painful in parts...that one vampire dude, Jasper, totally looks constipated and his Southern accent is pretty atrocious.  I found this movie more enjoyable because there was more of a storyline-not just the teen romance stuff.  It was pretty violent, though.  It was weird, non blood (because they are vampires) violence.  All in all, Eclipse was definitely tolerable and even makes me look forward to seeing the coming sequels.


*Can I just put this out there....I think my least favorite part of all of this Twilight stuff is Bella.  Honestly, I don't think she deserves either of these guys-which makes it rather baffling that they are fighting over her.  Has anyone seen any desirable or worthwhile qualities in this girl?  I think Kristin Stewart plays her pretty well, but I've seen her in some interviews, and she's pretty much the same.  So, I guess she's not really acting much...but A+ for casting her.  Diane Keaton is like that, too.  She plays similar characters in all her movies...and they are all strikingly similar to herself-or at least herself in interviews.  The Bella character is just so dysfunctional-her life is way too dependent on her relationships with boys-it's unhealthy.  I think she is a really bad example for girls-I hope all the moms reading with their daughters, or watching movies, take the time to have a dialog about it.
And, really, Bella, just go to college. 

Sorry, maybe I'm reading too much into these books/movies.  It is a fun, unusual story.






2 comments:

  1. I realize on the outset of this comment that me proclaiming I'm not one of the crazy 30-year-old Twilight fans isn't convincing, especially since I've read all the books and somehow see the movies within the first week they are released.

    I actually didn't like the third and fourth books and hadn't planned on seeing this movie. I actually liked it and liked the side stories they did of the other vampires and the indian legend. This was also the book that made me hate Bella. You totally hit it on the head -- what exactly makes her so alluring? She isn't confident, she is fickle, and her life ambition seems to be to become a vampire and live forever with Edward. I don't think she deserves either guy. I know I'll probably see the fourth movie, but honestly after the third movie I feel like it can only end in a train wreck...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, Ha, you totally make me laugh about not being a crazy fan. Maybe actions do speak louder than words...I devoured the books, see the movies right away, talk about them, and blog, not once but twice. But, Brenda, I think the difference is that we actually read other books, too. And, I do the same thing with BBC movie adaptations of novels I read. It's kinda fun to have all these other women and girls on the bandwagon-rather than just my bookie friends. So, I think we can consider ourselves just book lovers, not crazy Twilight fans. :)

    I liked books 3 and 4 because there was more of the story, more than just the love triangle stuff, at least as far as I recall. Hmm, another sign I'm not a crazy fan-I've only read the Twilight books once.

    ReplyDelete