Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Young Victoria and Lady Jane

4 stars

I watched this one with my book/movie club.  We started as a Classics Book Group, but we've evolved to reading books and short stories written 100+ years ago and watching the film adaptations, or, as in this case, just a good movie that goes along with the period of what we're reading.  It's a lot of fun.  We've been on hiatus as our leader has been in England for the past 9mos (ah, the professor perks).  She actually met Jennifer Ehle, who played Elizabeth in the BBC P&P, at a park.  Kinda awesome, huh?  :)  Anyway, back to Young Victoria.  It was good, although slightly confusing...I just don't get all that royal family/intermarriage/vying for power thing.  Tom wasn't home, so I had to keep wrestling my kids back to bed.  Even being a bit distracted, I liked the movie.  I'll have to watch it again someday.

Lady Jane
2 stars

My BFF, Brenda, reminded me that we went through a Helena Bonham Carter phase in high school.  This is one of her first films (I still really like A Room With a View), before she discovered tweezers, apparently.  It also has Cary Elwes, who I think we liked thanks to Princess Bride.  I remember liking this movie, although I can't remember why.  It really wasn't that good.  Again, I totally don't get all this monarchy stuff.  Although, Tom and I were able to liken Nebraska's move to the Big Ten and the ensuing drama to royal power quests of the old days.  It's all about money and power.  This was sort of fun to watch for nostalgia-sake, but not really one to watch otherwise.

1 comment:

  1. Man, we watched that movie over and over. It must be a teenager thing to get hooked on lame movies. Stacy and I can be watching a movie and I'm rolling my eyes, groaning, and laughing at the wrong parts, but she is absolutely swooning and will watch the movie over and over...

    Young Victoria was good, although I might have felt more suspense and conflict if I understood the politics.

    ReplyDelete