Monday, May 31, 2010

Outsourced, Sherlock Holmes, How to Train Your Dragon

This week's movies got progressively better, but none of them were great.  One of my friend's recently commented on my pickiness about movies (I think it was after Moulin Rouge).  I have to admit, she's right.  To my credit, I will watch just about anything...but, I do have high standards.  (Also, I'm a cheap skate with the theaters, I don't like watching mediocre movies in the theater.  If I'm going to make the effort to go and pay serious $, I want a pretty good chance that I will like the film.  One exception - the Twilight movies.  Seriously, I think those are some of the worst movies, yet I can't wait to see the next ones.  Weird, huh?  I know I'm going to hate them, but I still want to watch with everyone else.  It's tricky to find just the right friend to watch with...excited to see it, but willing to moan and groan about how horrible it was the whole way home.  An unusual combination.  Oddly, I think my husband might fit the bill. )  Anyway, on to the movies...

1 star

The best part of this movie was the music.  For some reason I really like that Bollywood, Indian music.  Makes me smile and want to do that shoulder shrug with the fingers out...know the one I mean?  Unfortunately, the story was dumb and the characters not particularly likeable.  It was a laundry movie...and even with laundry it was barely tolerable.  I watched it a few nights ago, I hardly remember it, which is okay.  It was not good.  The whole 'sleep around before you marry your arranged spouse' just doesn't set right with me.  I didn't get the ending either-what did the phone call mean?  Avoid this one.



Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law, in-character. The background is a window display, featuring shelves containing miscellaneous objects relating to the story. The poster reads "Sherlock Holmes" across the top, with the tagline "Holmes for the holiday" centered at the bottom. The poster is predominately turquoise coloured.
2 stars

I don't know what I was expecting from this film, but it was a lot darker than I was prepared for.  I'm not a Robert Downey , Jr. fan, so I knew the movie would have a lot to overcome, but I had hopes.  Oh well.  I thought Jude Law did well-he was my favorite part of the movie.  I kept thinking, is that Jude Law?  Then I finally checked the case to confirm my hunch. To me, that's good acting. I must watch too many BBC period pieces, because seeing Rachel McAdams' eye makeup I thought, "No way would she have gotten away with that much makeup at that time-what a hussy."  Also, I hate it when movies end with and obvious set up for a sequel.  This ending was the most blatant set up I think I've ever seen.  I prefer sequels to be more like an encore, because the first was so good, rather than a continuation of a mediocre plot.  But, perhaps, I am showing how little I know about Doyle's writing.  And, why didn't he ever say "It's elementary, my dear Watson"?  I thought that was a famous line?  Is that just in my head?  Am I mixed up with something else?  This movie just didn't do it for me, but I will probably be willing to rent the sequel when it comes out.  


3 stars 
(we didn't see it in 3D, but this is the only pic I could find)

I think my kids liked this movie.  I liked it well enough.  I was brave and took all five kids, by myself, to the theater to see this movie today.  We went to the first show, there were 10 other people in the theater.  I always dream of having the theater to ourselves.  It was still kind of high stress for me, so I didn't really get to focus on the movie.  And, towards the end I had to step out with the baby a few times...so I'm not totally sure how it ended, but I think I got the gist of it.  (By the way, I'm not that person who brings kids/babies to any movie, but I think children's movies are fair game for, well, children.)  I think the movie could have used a few more laughs.  

On a side note:  On one of my trips to the hallway I was thinking about how expensive it is to go to the movies now, especially with our big family.  It is hard to justify spending so much.  For the price of going to the movie we could buy it when it comes out (and most movies release to dvd pretty quickly these days), plus a whole case of popcorn, candy, and sodas.  But, alas, it's not the theater experience.  I really wish we had a cheap seats theater here.  I would be all over that!  We might try out Toy Story 3 in 3D. (I haven't seen any of the new 3D movies yet, and I think I'd like to give it a try-but what's up with the extra cost?  lame.)  Everything else will have to wait for Utah cheap seats in July, or rentals.  Also, I think a new rule for our family...age requirement for movie theater: 5, with perhaps an occasional exception for a 4 year old.  (Unless it's the Utah cheap seats...I mean for $1.50, I don't mind if I spend half the movie in the hallway, nor am I too concerned about a 'silence is golden' attitude from the other patrons-you get what you pay for.)  I think Ellie and Liam, (and me, too) would have been happier at home with a babysitter.  But, we were looking for something to do, and thought I'd give it a try.  Ultimately, they all did okay.



1 comment:

  1. I actually liked Sherlock Holmes, but I like Robert Downey, Jr, so that could be it, too. How is it possible that Jude Law has such blue eyes? Just one of the thoughts I had while watching. I totally agree thought Rachel McAdams looked like a hussy for the time period. She is so beautiful naturally, why all the period inappropriate goop?

    I haven't seen 'How to Train Your Dragan' yet, but have heard good things.

    ReplyDelete